2.6.30 (Squeeze): no hda1 no sda1

Hi all,
I'm runny Debian Testing (Squeeze) and have been for years. Since linux-
image-2.6.30-686 has now trickled down to Squeeze, I thought it was time to
upgrade from 2.6.26. I installed linux-image-2.6.30-1-686 (keeping my old
kernel of course ) and rebooted. The new kernel will not boot and complains
about not finding /dev/hda1 . Checking /boot/grub/menu.lst I see that the
entries for both kernel (2.6.30 and 2.6.26) are configured identically.
2.6.26 boots with no problems and instantly finds /dev/hda1 (my hard drive)
as did every kernel going back to the 2.4 days.

Following a suggestion I changed the device name from /dev/hda1 to
/dev/sda1. Bootup hangs for a while at Begin: Waiting for root file system.
Eventually that times out and it takes me into a Busybox shell. cat
/proc/cmdline yields the correct result root=/dev/sda1 ro
If I do ls /dev it shows no /dev/hd* and no /dev/sd* at all. Not even my 2
CD/DVD drives show up. There are a whole bunch of usb.xxx devices but
nothing that has a filesystem on it. At this point my guess is that it's a
udev problem in 2.6.30. Any ideas on how to fix this? As I said, 2.6.26
still works perfectly so it's not a hardware issue.

jdk