Re: 2.6.30 (Squeeze): no hda1 no sda1

> I need just a bit of reassurance because I really don't want to paint myself
> into a corner. If I start playing around with fstab won't that jeopardise my
> ability to boot into the 2.6.26 kernel? If it doesn't effect 2.6.26 then I
> don't understand how editing fstab would make a difference to being able to
> boot in 2.6.30.
> Thanks again
> jonathan

First of all, back up your fstab /before/ you start messing with it.
>From busybox you can always manually mount the drive and revert to the
present semi-working version.

>From what you've described to the list, your root drive is detected
under 2.6.26 and 2.6.30 as different devices - and under 2.6.30 it may
not be detected at all. What you're doing by changing to the UUID or
label is instead of pointing to a /dev location (which as you're
experiencing can change between kernels and for other reasons) you're
pointing to the drive label or UUID. Neither will change without some
sort of user intervention. The Label can't be added/changed without
formatting (something that might wipe your disk) and UUID will be the
same no matter what kernel you're using so if you do it correctly then
2.6.26 will continue to work as it does now even if 2.6.30 still fails
to boot (see below). E.g. if you give the UUID for your /var partition
as the root partition then you're still going to have problems due to
user error. Just comment out your current line for /dev/hda and make a
copy of that line replacing /dev/hda with UUID=.... or LABEL=... and
you should be on your way. There's lot's of examples if you google
UUID+fstab+debian for the tools you need to figure out the UUID for
your drives.

If you do mess it up you can always mount the /dev/hda location
manually from busy box, revert your fstab from the mounted location
and then boot normally and try to assign the correct UUID again.

What if it still doesn't work?: If you change to UUID mount points and
2.6.26 will still boot and 2.6.30 still won't boot then you're
probably missing a driver in the 2.6.30 kernel for some of your
hardware that you need for your system to boot properly.