Re: [Semi-OT] Need advice on AMD mobo

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 01:14 -0600, lee wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:58:28AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Their answer????  "We don't support Linux", repeatedly, even though, of
> > course, BIOS disk detection has nothing to do with Linux.
>
> I got the same answer from Gigabyte (two of my disks are not detected
> by the BIOS when AHCI is enabled; they work fine in IDE mode or when
> hotplugged after the BIOS is through with the detection). They were
> saying --- after a lot of other unhelpful crap --- that Intel doesn't
> make Linux drivers for the ICH9 chipset and that they therefore cannot
> offer support.

> Almost all support people I've had to deal with are idiots who are too
> stupid to understand the question.

+1

> These manufacturers should (be
> forced to) stop selling their products (by law) when they so obviously
> don't know what they are doing.

Did you ever try to proceed like this:

"Would you please give me your name again, I forgot to note it. If
 $STATEMENT is the official position of $COMPANY, i'll cite it on my
 web page."

Guess what happened?  It was my ISP's 0800 support lying:

Support: "We don't block any ports, you must be doing sth wrong and
          sorry we don't support Linux."

$me:      see above.

Result: 10 minutes later a techie called me, explaining why they block
smtp in both directions.  Not very convincing but hey, it's not a big
deal when you have root permissions on your MX.

my 2¢
  Siggy

--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might see neither copy.
    bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de