Re: [Semi-OT] Need advice on AMD mobo

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 4:13 AM, lee<lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 03:12:46AM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
>> lee wrote:
>>> At Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:22:08 -0500,
>>> Mark Allums wrote:
>>
>> Not being able to update the BIOS is not an ASUS problem.  Actually,
>> ASUS is very good about updating their BIOSes.  I never heard of a board
>> you couldn't update.  What model was it?
>
> A8NK or something ... You couldn't update the BIOS without having a
> floppy disk drive and a disk to boot some DOS version from or running
> Windoze. I haven't had a floppy in over a decade, and I don't have
> Windoze. I could have booted from CD, but they didn't have anything to
> boot from CD and then update the BIOS.
>
>> If you don't like ASUS, go with MSI.
>
> Yeah, I've never had any problems with MSI boards. The Asus board I
> had, I only bought because the Asus one was supposed to be
> faster. Since I had seen a lot of Asus boards for PII-350s working
> just fine and Asus had (has?) a good reputation, I thought I'd try
> Asus instead of MSI.
>
> With the Asus board, I had problems with SATA disks disconnecting, and
> I thought the board was at fault. But it turned out that the problem
> was the disks, not the board.
>

> --

Asus BIOSes can be upgraded using a usb memory since the release the
first Pentium 4/Athlon XP mainboards.
So there's no need to have a floppy disk unit or even install windows
in order to upgrade the BIOS.

--
Usuario Linux Registrado #452368
Usuario Ubuntu Registrado #28025

"Doing a thing well is often a waste of time."
//Netbook - HP Mini 1035NR 2GB 60GB - Windows XP/Ubuntu 9.04
//Desktop - Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz 8GB 500GB - Windows 7(testing)
//Desktop - Core 2 Duo 2.40Ghz 8GB 320GB - MacOS Leopard
//Desktop - Athlon 64 2.7Ghz 8GB 400GB - Ubuntu Jaunty
//Server - Pentium D 3.2Ghz 8GB 1TB - Debian Lenny
//Server - Celeron 1.8Ghz 1GB 160GB - Pfsense
//Server - NSLU2 266Mhz 32MB 1TB - Debian Lenny