Re: [Semi-OT] Need advice on AMD mobo

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 03:12:46AM -0500, Mark Allums wrote:
> lee wrote:
>> At Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:22:08 -0500,
>> Mark Allums wrote:
>
> Not being able to update the BIOS is not an ASUS problem.  Actually,
> ASUS is very good about updating their BIOSes.  I never heard of a board
> you couldn't update.  What model was it?

A8NK or something ... You couldn't update the BIOS without having a
floppy disk drive and a disk to boot some DOS version from or running
Windoze. I haven't had a floppy in over a decade, and I don't have
Windoze. I could have booted from CD, but they didn't have anything to
boot from CD and then update the BIOS.

> If you don't like ASUS, go with MSI.

Yeah, I've never had any problems with MSI boards. The Asus board I
had, I only bought because the Asus one was supposed to be
faster. Since I had seen a lot of Asus boards for PII-350s working
just fine and Asus had (has?) a good reputation, I thought I'd try
Asus instead of MSI.

With the Asus board, I had problems with SATA disks disconnecting, and
I thought the board was at fault. But it turned out that the problem
was the disks, not the board.