Re: boot failure "mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /root failed: no such device"

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:18, Raphael
Bossek<raphael.bossek@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a little bit happy reading this because my Debian system fails form one
> day to another (after an upgrade of the linux kernel 2.6.26-2-686). I've
> started a discussion about my broblem already without any solution.
> It would be interesting for me to know if you partitions are deteced stering
> the driver. Please grep dmsg for your device node and check if they are
> within /proc/partitions too. If not, try to call hdparm -z
> /dev/what-ever-your-device-ist to force the kernel to reload the partition
> table.
> To be able to start hdparm you have to copy the app from somewhere else
> because it's not part of initrd environment. I used an external USB HD witch
> is detected by udev seamless.
>
> My next try will be to go back to an older linux version and udev. Maybe
> udev is also an problem.
>
> My problem is "Resourse or device busy" at this moment within the initrd
> environment afer hparm -z reloaded the partitiontable and udev created the
> device node.

Unfortunately, when this problem occurs, it does not give me any kind of
shell, so it is very hard to get more info (all I can do is hard reboot).

There are several messages regarding ata1, scsi, and sd, that seem to
indicate that the disks are seen at some level, but that is all I can say.

Thanks,
Kelly Clowers