boot failure "mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /root failed: no such device"

My HD failed, I RMAd it and restored from backup...but I cannot boot.
I get error messages like this:

mount: mounting /dev/sda1 on /root failed: no such device
mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: no such file or directory
mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: no such file or directory

Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init

/bin/sh: can't access tty: job control turned off

I have tried different kernels (.29 and .30 - Sid packages), I have
chrooted from a LiveCD and updated/reinstalled a number of
packages: initramfs-tools, udev, and various sysvrc and init
packages. I have regenerated the initramfs. I double-checked
fstab, and I have tried using root=/dev/sda1 and root=UUID=

Nothing has worked, any further ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Kelly Clowers