Re: Services / Runlevel editor

John Hasler wrote:
> Allen writes:
>> I just can't seem to find much to let me work on services that doesn't
>> involve the process of shutting them all off by hand.
>
>> So is there an application you guys use for Debian to turn processes off
>> and on?
>
> Could you clarify?  I can't quite work out what you mean by "shutting them
> all off by hand" or what sort of a tool you want.  What are you trying to
> achieve?  Perhaps sysvconfig would do what you want.  It includes a
> runlevel editor and a "service" script.
>
> BTW why are you installing servers you don't need running?
Hi,

I was trying to think of exactly what I was doing in other OSs, and I
think I ended up just rambling, basically a tool that lets you shut off
system services you don't need, or start them up when you do need them.
For example, one of my boxes has SUSE on it, and I sometimes like using
it for FTP, or SSH, but I don't always want SSH or FTP running because
if I go somewhere else, I may not have my hardware firewall, so I
wouldn't want those on when they aren't somewhat protected, and so
generally I open up YAST2, go to runlevel editor, and it has all system
services that are running, stopped, or whatever else, and which run
level they start at, and I can shut off VSFTPd from there, or, if I'm at
home and need that service for something, I can turn it on, and it
starts it up for me.

I don't normally install services like HTTP unless I'm going to use
them, but for example on one of my Slackware machines, I have to turn it
on and off by hand, so I generally leave it off.

It's mostly just for back ups, I have a machine I upload back up stuff
to, that way if something happens, I can just download whatever I need
to another machine, and not have to look through a bunch of CDs or
something. I think the tool you mentioned is probably what I'm looking
for, so I'll check that out.

I was more or less looking for a way to see the ones running, and be
able to turn them on and off.

Thanks much,

-Allen