Re: Services / Runlevel editor

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Allen Kenner<SlackWareWolf@comcast.net> wrote:

> John Hasler wrote:
>> Allen writes:
>>> I just can't seem to find much to let me work on services that doesn't
>>> involve the process of shutting them all off by hand.
>>
>>> So is there an application you guys use for Debian to turn processes off
>>> and on?
>>
>> Could you clarify?  I can't quite work out what you mean by "shutting them
>> all off by hand" or what sort of a tool you want.  What are you trying to
>> achieve?  Perhaps sysvconfig would do what you want.  It includes a
>> runlevel editor and a "service" script.
>>
>> BTW why are you installing servers you don't need running?
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to think of exactly what I was doing in other OSs, and I
> think I ended up just rambling, basically a tool that lets you shut off
> system services you don't need, or start them up when you do need them.
> For example, one of my boxes has SUSE on it, and I sometimes like using
> it for FTP, or SSH, but I don't always want SSH or FTP running because
> if I go somewhere else, I may not have my hardware firewall, so I
> wouldn't want those on when they aren't somewhat protected, and so
> generally I open up YAST2, go to runlevel editor, and it has all system
> services that are running, stopped, or whatever else, and which run
> level they start at, and I can shut off VSFTPd from there, or, if I'm at
> home and need that service for something, I can turn it on, and it
> starts it up for me.

This maybe an obvious suggestion. You're comments make me wonder . . .
but can't you run a firewall on you local machine? The line, "if I go
somewhere else" and "hardware firewall" are throwing me off. What
hardware? Are you taking the machine with you? Are you going somewhere
else with yours machine?  If so, run a firewall on it.

> I don't normally install services like HTTP unless I'm going to use
> them, but for example on one of my Slackware machines, I have to turn it
> on and off by hand, so I generally leave it off.
>
> It's mostly just for back ups, I have a machine I upload back up stuff
> to, that way if something happens, I can just download whatever I need
> to another machine, and not have to look through a bunch of CDs or
> something. I think the tool you mentioned is probably what I'm looking
> for, so I'll check that out.
>
> I was more or less looking for a way to see the ones running, and be
> able to turn them on and off.

Again, are these mobile machines? It may seem redundant to run a
firewall while connected to your internal network, but . . .

-Neal