Re: Services / Runlevel editor

2009/6/27 Allen Kenner <SlackWareWolf@comcast.net>:

> John Hasler wrote:
>> Allen writes:
>>> I just can't seem to find much to let me work on services that doesn't
>>> involve the process of shutting them all off by hand.
>>
>>> So is there an application you guys use for Debian to turn processes off
>>> and on?
>>
>> Could you clarify?  I can't quite work out what you mean by "shutting them
>> all off by hand" or what sort of a tool you want.  What are you trying to
>> achieve?  Perhaps sysvconfig would do what you want.  It includes a
>> runlevel editor and a "service" script.

> I was trying to think of exactly what I was doing in other OSs, and I
> think I ended up just rambling, basically a tool that lets you shut off
> system services you don't need, or start them up when you do need them.
> For example, one of my boxes has SUSE on it, and I sometimes like using
> it for FTP, or SSH, but I don't always want SSH or FTP running because
> if I go somewhere else, I may not have my hardware firewall, so I
> wouldn't want those on when they aren't somewhat protected, and so
> generally I open up YAST2, go to runlevel editor, and it has all system
> services that are running, stopped, or whatever else, and which run
> level they start at, and I can shut off VSFTPd from there, or, if I'm at
> home and need that service for something, I can turn it on, and it
> starts it up for me.

OK, I think I understand what your getting at. Correct me if I'm wrong
but you have clients and servers, and you only want the servers
running when you actually are using them?

You might like to look into:
update-rc.d
its a script that is provided with Debian to modify the services
started and stopped at different run-levels.
If you provide the command:
#update-rc.d -f servicename remove
it will remove all of the start and stop scripts that start the
servers for various run-levels.
You can then start or stop the service manually by:
/etc/init.d/servicename start
/etc/init.d/servicename stop
NB: The service will no longer automatically start at boot.

I think you understand the difference between client and server? IE
you only need to run the vsftpd server when you want to connect to the
current machine with ftp?

BTW: by using linux in a point and click manner you are only just
scratching the surrface of what is possible. There are a lot of things
that you can do from the command line that are really simple. A
rudimentary understanding of the unix shell will see you being able to
reap more benefits from your system

Best wishes,

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.