Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Cowley Harris<warewolfe@gmail.com> wrote:
> This guy asked a relatively simple question which I'm paraphrasing
> here as "can you run Debian without perl or python", the answer is
> pretty much no.
> He gave his reasons for the question and his opinion on the answers he
> was given.  He's also started probably the most interesting thread on
> this list for a while.
>
> As I've read it, he's not attacked anyone personally even when
> disagreeing with people and yet he is being personally attacked for
> his opinions.
>
> Well, here is my opinion, if you feel threatened enough by someone who
> disagrees with you, that you must insult them, it's a sign of a weak
> logic or a weak mind.  It's the reaction typical of a zealot, fool or
> troll and not the response of someone with some useful knowledge to
> share.
>
> I don't agree with him that a  "one programming language system"
> would be "the right way to do things" or that it would lead to a
> bright future of our free software world". but I'm not going to insult
> him for his belief.  In fact it might be a good thing that he tries
> this endeavor.
>
> "Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people
> attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore,
> depends on unreasonable people." GB Shaw.
>
> The benefits of multiple languages over a 1 language system (1LS) is
> that it gives you the ability to program at the appropriate level of
> the problem space. The studies show that the higher level you program
> the more instructions you have per line, and yet the  bugs per line
> stay about the same.
> The studies also show that the amount  of LOC produced by programmers
> of the same skill level is about the same, whether they use assembly,
> c or java, and yet the amount of instructions per LOC  increase with
> level of the language. More productivity in the same time span is a
> major advantage.
>
> On a personal note, I think that programmers that use different
> languages can communicate in "meta-programming" terms, a hash-table is
> a hash-table whether you call it a hash or a dictionary.  The benefits
> of a 1LS would be small in comparison to the benefits of plural
> system.
thank you! I thought they are kind to give me advice, but I'm wrong,
they just want to laught at me, it doesn't matter, I finally know it,
and maybe next time I will discover it earlier.
I still insist my ideal: one language for computer programming!