Re: is it possible to install a desktop-manager without python and perl?

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 09:13:29AM +0800, 明覺 wrote:
> Thank you, my plan is to first learn C/C++, then learn other
> languages, I learn other languages in order to extract out their
> advantages into C/C++, not for using them, of cause, before I have the
> ability to modify the g++ compilers as I like.

Paraphrasing from memory of the Wikipedia article on Alan Turing.

Turing was interested in machine intelligence - one of his suggestions
was that you teach a computer to play chess, another was that you should
teach a computer to speak English (both, I think, in the article in Mind
in 1950). He began to write a program to play chess in 1948 but had
no computer to run it. In 1952 he played a match against his colleague
where _he_ was the computer "running" his program. It took half an hour
per move and he was eventually beaten. The "program" was apparently
finally good enough to beat his colleague's wife.

The hope that you'll be able to teach a computer enough to speak English
now seems incredibly naive but is more than good enough as a goal when
you're essentially inventing the idea of the computer and its uses and
have one of the three or four working computers in the world: it's easy to
be optimistic when you don't know how hard the scope of the problem really
is.

Learning all the computer languages within a modern Linux distribution
to force-fit their concepts into one language, retaining their strengths
(and presumably eliminating their weaknesses/problems as you go) and
then modifying the gcc compiler appropriately?

Russell Coker on Planet.debian had a post yesterday or so where he pointed
to the very wise advice he'd been given, essentially "the people who write
compilers and toolchains are smarter/better programmers
than you are: if you think you've found a bug in their compiler, its
almost always in your code".

Alan Turing died in 1954: this discussion is the first and only time
I've seen your name.

All the best,

AndyC