Re: new problem - networking is strange

Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

In <200904042356.01172.reidac@bellatlantic.net>, Andrew Reid wrote:
 Not only did I get confused and send a redundant message, I can
now confirm that it's not fixed in lenny.
That because it is not a bug, it is a feature and it is working as

It is/was broken on my system since both of my network cards get random
MAC addresses on each boot (hardware issue best I can tell), but it is
easily fixed by writing a couple of udev rules to assign eth0 and eth1 by
PCI address instead of MAC address.

 The file is /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
It is generated by 75-persistent-net-generator.rules.
Yeah, but it's a feature that's not well publicized and causes confusing behavior.

Standard behavior, for years, has been to expect eth0 to be assigned to a machine's primary network interface. udev's behavior is more than a little counter-intuitive, and not well publicized or documented. You don't really expect to replace a network card and suddenly have your machine not be able to find the network.

Miles R. Fidelman, Director of Government Programs
Traverse Technologies 145 Tremont Street, 3rd Floor
Boston, MA  02111