Re: new problem - networking is strange

On Saturday 04 April 2009 23:45:48 Andrew Reid wrote:
> On Saturday 04 April 2009 19:07:53 Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > H.S. wrote:
> > > Miles Fidelman wrote:
> > >
> > > Is udev giving your interface a new name (ethx instead of, say eth0)?
> >
> > how would I check that, and why would it just start doing that?
>
>   It does that because udev maintains a list of network devices
> listed by MAC address in a file somewhere -- I thought it was
> obvious in /etc/udev, but I can't seem to find it on my system
> here -- maybe it's different in lenny?

  Pardon my self-reply, obviously I shouldn't try to do this stuff
late at night.

  Not only did I get confused and send a redundant message, I can
now confirm that it's not fixed in lenny.

  The file is /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

  I also remembered that the change in device name can leak
into your initramfs, if you're net-booting, so you might need
to rebuild that after you fix it.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net