new problem - networking is strange

As some of you have followed (and helped - THANKS!), I had a server crash, moved all my disks to a 2nd chassis, and have been busily restoring things.

Meanwhile, I discovered that I really didn't have a hardware failure on my 1st chassis - a disk drive failed in a way that dragged things down.

As I start bringing the 1st server back up (with the drives swapped from the backup chassis), a new symptom has cropped up, when I bring the machine up, eth0 doesn't start. Nor can I bring it up with ifconfig eth0 up - I get an error message "error fetching interface" "device not found"

Now, the /etc/network/interfaces file defines the interface and lspci lists the interface card; AND, when I boot from a liveCD, I can access the net just fine.

So.... anybody have any ideas or suggestions?

Thank!

Miles