Re: new problem - networking is strange

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 16:36:45 -0400, Miles Fidelman posted:
[...]
> Yeah, but it's a feature that's not well publicized and causes
confusing
> behavior.
>
> Standard behavior, for years, has been to expect eth0 to be assigned to
> a machine's primary network interface.  udev's behavior is more than a
> little counter-intuitive, and not well publicized or documented.  You
> don't really expect to replace a network card and suddenly have your
> machine not be able to find the network.

Well, it was covered pretty well in the release notes for Lenny. It is
always a good idea to read the release notes for a new release previous to
upgrading. Because I read them, it wasn't as surprising to me and I found
the documentation sufficient. That was my experience.