Re: new problem - networking is strange

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> In <200904042356.01172.reidac@bellatlantic.net>, Andrew Reid wrote:
>>  Not only did I get confused and send a redundant message, I can
>>now confirm that it's not fixed in lenny.
>
> That because it is not a bug, it is a feature and it is working as
> designed.
>
> It is/was broken on my system since both of my network cards get random
> MAC addresses on each boot (hardware issue best I can tell), but it is
> easily fixed by writing a couple of udev rules to assign eth0 and eth1 by
> PCI address instead of MAC address.
>
>>  The file is /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
>
> It is generated by 75-persistent-net-generator.rules.

hehe, thanks I was also interested in it somehow.
I was always wondering why it changes after copying the system.
I am bound to a static IP for most of the time coming from my provider, so
last time I changed the firewall I wrote an init.d script to setup the hw
of the old card ;-) this way my interface stayed the same after copying the
system.

thanks for explainging

regards