Re: To synchronize system time witn NTP-server with no winter time shift whole year - how to?

On 2009-03-30_07:37:30, ghe wrote:

> Why don't you just tell your OS that you live in Arizona? That's
> Mountain Time, and they don't do DST, IIRC.

After I learned where to look on this list, I looked there, and found
some very nice advance work by the developers responsible for
maintenance of tzdata.

When one runs dpkg-reconfigure tzdata, one sees a list of continental
region designations. At the bottom of the list is "Etc". If one
selects that item, one is presented with a multitude of options that
mostly begin with GMT- or GMT+. These are 'time zones' that are simple
hourly offsets from GMT without local legal mandates. The senses of
GMT- and GMT+ are the reverse of what I first guessed. These are
better than Arizona for me. With the collapse of cranky
conservativism, Arizona might take up daylight saving time, but GMT+7
should not change. It is the local time for the 105degrees west
meridion.

The list contains some synonyms: GMT GMT0 GMT+0 GMT-0 Greenwich UCT
UTC Universal Zulu all seem to invoke the same interpretation of Unix
time.

GMT+12 and GMT-12 are there, and they are not the synonyms. They differ
by one day in the date. This applies also to GMT-13 and GMT-14. They are
not the same as GMT+11 and GMT+10.

I guess that the developers responsible for maintenance of time-zone
code that includes local-mandates/social-conventions, keep the code for
these hourly offsets as a starting point for patching in new
legal/local logic.  I appreciate them giving it mnemonic names and
making it available for general use, via the Etc designation.

I am continually amazed by Debian.  Every day in every way it gets
better and better.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net