Re: SOLVED Re: Lenny won't install on an old Pentium that used to run Etch. Try 2

> > On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:50:32 -0400, Stefan Monnier posted:

> > > FWIW, I find that running Lenny on a 64MB machine is bearable but slowish,
> > > and Etch was already "too slow" on a 32MB machine.  So make sure you have
> > > enough RAM.
> > > For very simple uses, it works with less RAM, but as soon as you need to
> > > "apt-get install" or "apt-get upgrade" the memory limit becomes severe.

Yeah. You may have to shut every unnecessary process down just to
run "aptitude update". But Lenny isn't too bad.

I installed Lenny on a 64MB box a while back, and first it appeared
almost unusable, but after a bit of tweaking it's now running happily
as a DNS server and mail relay. The biggest memory hog was rsyslogd,
but it's memory footprint shrunk from about 28MB down to 4MB
simply by adding 'ulimit -s 128' to /etc/default/rsyslog.

--
Tapani Tarvainen