Re: Lenny won't install on an old Pentium that used to run Etch. Try 2

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:50:07 -0600, Robert Hodgins wrote:

> As various modules were being loaded in, I noticed some had "2.6.28-1-486"
> as a part of their name. I assume if these were being loaded, then the
> correct kernel was selected?

It is my understand that the installer will choose the correct kernel for
your architecture so it should automatically use the 486 flavour.

I don't imagine this will help with your problem, just to clarify. Was
that a typo, my Lenny install is using the 2.6.26 kernel?

Anything in the BIOS about plug and play, the installer (from your
photo) seems to be having trouble with those cards which I guess are
mostly ISA cards on a P1? Not surprised that you don't have a keyboard or
mouse since it doesn't see any serial interface either. Maybe try
stripping out any card that isn't actually needed (for example the NIC)
and try the install again. But you've probably already tried that.

I note that the output you gave from the "output of lshw (from the
System Rescue CD)", shows a 2.6.18 kernel, so it wasn't the Lenny
Installer in rescue mode. Since you didn't have trouble with the Etch
kernel, I'm not sure that printout is relevant to your trouble with the
Lenny kernel.

Sorry I can't give you a definitive answer, it is however, an interesting
problem.