Re: Lenny won't install on an old Pentium that used to run Etch. Try 2

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:47:11 -0600
Robert Hodgins <ehodgins@telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Daniel, thank you for your suggestions.
>

> I did this. I hit Alt-F4 as the installer was finishing the formatting
> of the hard drive. When the cursor stopped blinking and the keyboard
> no longer responded, I took a picture.
>
> I posted it here as Photo 1: http://technicallywrite.blogspot.com/

Hmmmm...not much to go on there, unfortunately.   Might have to do the
remote console thing and ssh in.

> I reinstalled (a minimal) Etch last night. It was successful. Top
> and /proc/meminfo both reported that RAM was 127192 KB...very close to
> the 128 MB that is in the machine. So, the Etch installer had no
> issues with the RAM or other hardware.
>
> Would the Lenny installer be more sensitive to potentially bad RAM or
> hardware than the Etch installer?

I don't think so.  I was simply wrong about it being bad hardware (most
likely).  However another poster pointed out that ACPI on a P1 is
probably wrong and since the message say it's not giving results the
kernel likes, it could certainly apply.  Try booting with
acpi=off
or
noacpi
(I forget which one, it might be listed in the Install Guide, or on the
F1-F10 help pages of the CD (before starting the installer)).

I'm thinking the default kernel configuration has changed somehow that
doesn't like your board.  ACPI is a definite possibility (modern
kernels try to use ACPI but boards before ~2000 tend to have buggy or
incomplete BIOS implementations of acpi).

Also apic and local apic could be a problem.  Basically anything that
your board tried to support but wasn't up to the standards that
eventually came into force, but are what the kernel expects.

> Right after selecting Install, the installer printed the screen (Photo
> 2) that is at http://technicallywrite.blogspot.com/ I didn't get this
> screen when I was installing Etch and I don't recall seeing it when I
> installed Lenny on other (more modern) machines. I can't interpret
> what it means.
> Is it relevant to the failure of the Lenny installer?

Probably.  Not 100% but 95% likelihood that this the problem.  Assuming
no other old hardware that is no longer supported on the system of
course.

> > I guess one other possibility is if the installer is not using the
> > 486 kernel but the 686 one (/var/log/syslog in the installer will
> > tell you the answer to that).
>
> When the Lenny installation freezes, the keyboard is locked up. There
> is no way to run shutdown -h now. I've just been powering off.
>
> At this stage of the installation, how can I get the /var/log/syslog?

If you look at the install guide you might be able to use a network
console and ssh in.  Depends of the machine is locked or just the
keyboard.  Personally I suspect it wouldn't help because if it the ACPI
that the problem then the system is hard frozen, not just not
responding to input.

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day.  Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something.   -- Michael Devore