Re: SOLVED Re: Lenny won't install on an old Pentium that used to run Etch. Try 2

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 05:11:43AM -0700, Thorny wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 16:50:32 -0400, Stefan Monnier posted:
>
> >> Discussing this has inspired me to put another line on my hobby list, I
> >> will eventually drag out an old P1 100MHz I have and try loading Lenny
> >> on it. Or, maybe I shouldn't thank you for that, it's not like I don't
> >> already have enough projects. <chuckle>
> >
> > FWIW, I find that running Lenny on a 64MB machine is bearable but slowish,
> > and Etch was already "too slow" on a 32MB machine.  So make sure you have
> > enough RAM.
> > For very simple uses, it works with less RAM, but as soon as you need to
> > "apt-get install" or "apt-get upgrade" the memory limit becomes severe.
> >

> It will be only a "hobby" system, slow would be acceptable. Thanks for
> sharing your experience.

However, consider that a lot of the slowness is due to heavy swap usage.
On an old system, with old drives, it may cause concern for the old IDE
drives.

My old "hobby" systems run OpenBSD: much faster (even when not swaping).

Doug.