Re: Top posting vs Bottom posting

Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> I think most people top post in corporate enviroments 'cos they just
> click and type and don't really care about proper use of email or
> computers in general. It's just the thing to send messages.

Actually, top posting makes some sense in a corporate environment. There
is no mailinglist or archive to see the entire discussion there. Suppose
you are discussing something with a coworker over e-mail. With top
posting every reply carries the entire thread. Want to involve someone
else (like your boss)? Just CC them and the have the full conversation.
This benefit probably outweighs the disadvantage of the messages
appearing in the wrong order.

For a real mailinglist (such as this) there is no such benefit when top
posting. Everyone already has all the previous messages because they are
subscribed here, and in the rare case you want to involve someone who is
not subscribed yet then you can point them to the public archive. In
this case top posting onmly has downsides and no benefit.

Of course, the *real* solution would be to start using mailinglists
inside corporate environments as well ;-)

--
Sander Marechal