Re: Top posting vs Bottom posting

Sander Marechal a écrit :
> [snip]
>
> Actually, top posting makes some sense in a corporate environment. There
> is no mailinglist or archive to see the entire discussion there. Suppose
> you are discussing something with a coworker over e-mail. With top
> posting every reply carries the entire thread. Want to involve someone
> else (like your boss)? Just CC them and the have the full conversation.
> This benefit probably outweighs the disadvantage of the messages
> appearing in the wrong order.

but that also creates a problem. I used to get mail from a customer,
with the full "history" of exchanges they got with other vendors (some
being our competitors, and I'm sure they wouldn't like to see their
messages forwarded to us!).

at $dayjob, I often top post, but I snip old text unless I see a benefit
in keeping it. and in any case, I snip it if it survives few exchanges.

now, when I respond to specific points in the quoted message, I bottom
post. unfortunately, many people are not used to this, and find it hard
to continue the discussion consistently: they often don't understand
levels of nesting using multiple '>', so they get creative and use
colors, bold, italics, ... after few exchanges, the message has a lot of
colors, which is more distracting than helpful.