Re: flashblock and noscript extensions want root access?

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 22:34:45 -0400, H.S. wrote:
> Mumia W.. wrote:
>>
>> The Noscript FAQ discusses this. For Seamonkey, Noscript must be
>> installed globally because Seamonkey is missing the API that makes
>> profile-installation easy.
>
> hmm ... thanks for this info.
>
>> I'm glad you mentioned "Seamonkey," because I had forgotten that Iceape
>> is Debian's Seamonkey.
>>
>> H.S., if you do install Noscript into Iceape (as root), please let us
>> know how this affects your upgrades. My guess is that Noscript would
>> have to be reinstalled after every upgrade of Iceape, but I'd like to
>> know.
>
> I am not sure I want to do this as root. Usually, I tend to keep
> non-debian packages separate as far as I can. So I am just probably
> going to wait it out and see if newer versions of Iceape allow this.

It should be enough to give your normal user temporary write access to
/usr/share/iceape/ whenever you want to install or update an extension.
If that is not sufficient then you can run

strace -f -e trace=file iceape

to see which files and directories it tries to access. (/var/lib/iceape/
might be another candidate.)

          Florian   |