Re: flashblock and noscript extensions want root access?

Florian Kulzer wrote:

H.S., if you do install Noscript into Iceape (as root), please let us know how this affects your upgrades. My guess is that Noscript would have to be reinstalled after every upgrade of Iceape, but I'd like to know.
I am not sure I want to do this as root. Usually, I tend to keep non-debian packages separate as far as I can. So I am just probably going to wait it out and see if newer versions of Iceape allow this.

It should be enough to give your normal user temporary write access to
/usr/share/iceape/ whenever you want to install or update an extension.

If I do this and some files are then installed here, would those files and their containing directories be deleted if I purge the iceape package?

I ask because sometimes when doing a remove or purge operation, dpkg reports that a certain directory was not empty so is not being removed. Usually this happens in while removing kernels when perhaps a custom module left a file somewhere which was not in the original Debian package.

BTW, just discovered this (based on Ron's post):
$> apt-cache search extension iceape
iceape-dom-inspector - DOM inspector for the Iceape Internet Suite
iceape-gnome-support - GNOME support for the Iceape Internet Suite
iceape-traybiff - traybiff - new mail alert for Icedove
mozilla-biofox - extension of bioinformatics tools to Iceape and Iceweasel browsers mozilla-firefox-adblock - AdBlock extension for the Iceweasel and Iceape web browsers mozilla-livehttpheaders - Adds information about the HTTP headers to Iceweasel and Iceape mozilla-noscript - Javascript/plugins permissions manager for Iceweasel and Iceape
mozilla-tabextensions - Tabbed browsing extensions for Iceape
mozilla-traybiff-common - traybiff - new mail alert for Icedove
mozilla-venkman - Javascript debugger for Mozilla based applications

I have installed these now:
$> sudo aptitude install mozilla-firefox-adblock mozilla-noscript

This is on Debian Testing.

Thanks,
->HS