Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 23:16:29 -0500, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:

> I'm certain that you *are* running a "complete mail package" and
> don't even know it!  :O
> Just about all Unix systems use the same MTA[0] to transfer intra-
> system mail as they do to transfer mail across the world.  Exim is
> the Debian default, but many replace it with Postfix.
> Most people must configure their MUA to send email to
> smtp.bigisp.net, and receive mail from pop.bigisp.net.  But with
> Unix (and Debian makes this very easy) you can configure your MTA to
> be a relayhost[1].
> The way I've configured my system.  Thus, in Icedove, I don't set
> the smtp server to be smtp.east.cox.net but "haggis", which is my
> machine's name.  The MTA (Postfix, in my case) then routes the email
> to smtp.east.cox.net which then takes it and sends it on to it's
> final destination.
> Conversely, fetchmail retrieves my mail from pop.east.cox.net then
> passes it to Postfix (which feeds it thru Spam Assassin) and then to
> an IMAP server running on my desktop.  That's where I (and my wife
> and children) read our email from, anywhere on our LAN.

Yes, I have used Postfix on my main home server for years now and it is
really pretty much zero maintenance.  Because I am fortunate enough to
have a static IP address from my (consumer) ISP, (which is also
thoughtful enough to allow setting of valid rDNS) I send and receive
mail direct-to-mx from my Postfix box here.  It means most unwanted
stuff is *rejected* at the SMTP envelope stage with some pretty simple
Postfix rules, rather than having to be accepted before being filtered
by Spamassassin or whatever.

Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.