Re: [OT] GMail troubles [Was: Re: du-guidelines - point 7]

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 21:43:38 -0500

> On 07/14/08 21:04, Brian Marshall wrote:
> > On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:46:07 -0500
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I keep telling people that Gmail is evil, but no one will listen.
> >>
> >> If you care about your data, and want to get to it at any time,
> >> keep your data and your apps on your local machine.
> >
> > So what would you recommend for a free, ISP-independent email
> > service with IMAP and a sensible amount of storage space?
> >
> > The reason I use Gmail is because there is no way I can set up
> > everything for email on a local server
>
> Why not?  Unless I am misunderstanding you, it's perfectly possible.
>  Here's a link to an emal from just last week about someone doing
> that:
> http://lists-archives.org/debian-user/3509138-imap-is-teh-r0x0rz.html

Maybe I am just misunderstanding you or the ramifications, but I only
have a residential ISP package with a dynamic IP and the only domain
pointing towards it is free from DynDNS. I don't find myself in the
situation to run a complete mail package like what Gmail and others
provide.

--
Brian