Re: 答复: Stunned by aptitude.

Barclay, Daniel wrote:
> Mark Allums wrote:
>  > Barclay, Daniel wrote:
>  >
>  >  > [...] could
>  >  >  > be said for your HTML-spewing MUA.
>  >  >
>  >  > What that heck are you talking about?  My message was sent in plain
>  >  > text, not
>  >  > HTML.
>  >
>  > It's a dual-format message encoded in MIME base64 format.
>
> Where the heck are you seeing base64 encoding?

Do "View message Source" or similar option with your MUA/client. Read the headers.

 In both the copy of my message written directly to my Sent folder and
> the copy
> I got back from my mail server (because of my BCC header addressing myself),
> there was _no_ base64 encoding of anything.  (That's from viewing the
> raw message
> using SeaMonkey's View Source command AND from double-checking with emacs.)
>
> Are you ascribing to my MUA (and my configuration and use of it) some
> transformation that something else is performing?

No.  At least, I don't think so.

> (The only type of copy I can't find is a copy echoed back from the
> mailing list
> (to see what arrived at the other end).  Do Debian lists not send copies
> back to
> the original sender?)
>

>  > So, two
> > things are wrong with the format of your message. One, it's both plain
>  > text and HTML,
>
> Similarly:  Where are you seeing HTML?  There is _no_ HTML in what my
> MUA sent
> out.

It's there.  Again, with view source, it's quite plain.

>  > ... and two, it's MIME encoded.
>
> What do you mean by "MIME encoded"?  That's ambiguous.  MIME involves a
> lot of
> things.  My message has no transfer encoding other than a straight
> one-byte-per-character encoding (and in fact it's the simplest, plainest
> ASCII-based encoding: "7-bit"). My message doesn't have multiple parts, so
> there's no encoding of multiple parts.

I beg to differ.  Or rather, Mozilla Thunderbird begs to differ.

>  > The latter is not necessarily a deal-breaker, if everyone has a modern
>  > mail-reading client, ...
>
> Surely you're not saying that people object to the MIME-Version header field
> (ignorable by MUAs that don't understand it), right?

No, "not a deal-breaker" means MIME is okay. (Except for ancient software, which may show someone the headers and extraneous info., then force them to view a couple of blocks of seemingly random text, which are the actual message text in base64 encoding.)

Mark Allums