Re: CAD software for PCB engineering and routing

Hi Larry,

please can you trimm down the message if you are responding?

Am 2008-06-23 13:07:24, schrieb owens@peak.org:
> Michelle
> I have run several hardware/software shops and for me the only rational
> arguement for source code is "what will I as a user do if the company goes
> "belly up" or stops supporting the product.  The only pragmatic solution

This is NOT the same case as mine, since I  am  talking  about  software
which require experience, time and money to develop them.

Software Enterprises coding PCB Layoutsoftware which coste  20.000 €  to
80.000 € (!!!) of VariCAD for 20.000 € are not an enterprises  which  go
down from today to tomorrow.  They have established  VERY  well  working
international standards and my files are worldwide compatibel.

Such enterprises  are  very  rare  and  how  many  such  programs  exist
worldwide?  Mot more then 100.

> that I was able to work out was an escrow arrangement whereby the
> developer placed the most current version of source code and documentation
> with a third party (e.g. a bank).  The developer owned that source code
> and I was not allowed to access it unless the developer either stopped
> doing business, stopped supporting the software, or failed to meet stated
> obligations (e.g. failed to fix a major bug in some reasonable time).  I
> have negotiated several of these agreements and not once have I had to
> exercise the escrow agreement and gain access to the software; however,
> the existance of such an agreement gave my company peace of mind.

Which type of software is it?
And HOW many Licences do you have?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)