Re: CAD software for PCB engineering and routing

2008/6/18  <owens@peak.org>:
> My (no defunct) company went through a similar search as you.  What we
> found was some very good and very expensive software, primarily ported to
> Suns, and some reasonably good and reasonably inexpensive software,
> unfortunately ported to XP.  Perhaps others can suggest something that
> combines the XP-like cost with (some of the) UNIX-like features.  Due to
> cost reasons we ended up with the XP stuff.  Hope you find something that
> matches your needs.
> Larry

Did you write to the companies that provide the cheaper, XP-based
solutions and tell them that you are interested in buying their
software, but that you need a native Linux version? If we don't get
off our butts and tell the companies that we exist, then we have no
basis to complain when there is no suitable software available for
Linux.

To FOSS developers: Solidworks is the de-facto CAD software used in my
country. Everybody uses it. I will donate to any project TWICE THE
COST of a Solidworks license that develops and maintains a
Solidworks-compatible alternative, for as long as I'm using the
software. Solidworks-compatible means that I develop and can exchange
documents with other Solidworks users with NO EXCUSES. I'm certain
that you will find many other idiots like me who would be willing to
donate similar sums.

In the meantime, I write to Solid and request them to release a Linux
version. I'm currently running an older version in VirtualBox because
I have no choice (well, I _could_ run XP).

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il