Re: CAD software for PCB engineering and routing

2008/6/20  <owens@peak.org>:
>> Did you write to the companies that provide the cheaper, XP-based
>> solutions and tell them that you are interested in buying their
>> software, but that you need a native Linux version? If we don't get
>> off our butts and tell the companies that we exist, then we have no
>> basis to complain when there is no suitable software available for
>> Linux.
>>
>> To FOSS developers: Solidworks is the de-facto CAD software used in my
>> country. Everybody uses it. I will donate to any project TWICE THE
>> COST of a Solidworks license that develops and maintains a
>> Solidworks-compatible alternative, for as long as I'm using the
>> software. Solidworks-compatible means that I develop and can exchange
>> documents with other Solidworks users with NO EXCUSES. I'm certain
>> that you will find many other idiots like me who would be willing to
>> donate similar sums.
>>
>> In the meantime, I write to Solid and request them to release a Linux
>> version. I'm currently running an older version in VirtualBox because
>> I have no choice (well, I _could_ run XP).
>>
>> Dotan Cohen
>>
>> http://what-is-what.com
>> http://gibberish.co.il
>> א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-נ-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
>>
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
>> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
>
> Dotan
> I think the OP is looking for a PCB CAD package.  If I recall neither
> Solidworks nor VariCAD does this.
> Larry

My comment was more generally discussing the fact that many people are
looking for software instead of asking for it. I have never needed to
do PCB but I doubt that Solidworks handles that. Regardless, the OP
(Michelle) did find suitable, affordable software for his purpose that
ran on a different OS. He should write to the developer and express
interest in a Linux port of the software.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il