Re: CAD software for PCB engineering and routing

2008/6/23  <owens@peak.org>:
> Michelle
> I have run several hardware/software shops and for me the only rational
> arguement for source code is "what will I as a user do if the company goes
> "belly up" or stops supporting the product.  The only pragmatic solution
> that I was able to work out was an escrow arrangement whereby the
> developer placed the most current version of source code and documentation
> with a third party (e.g. a bank).  The developer owned that source code
> and I was not allowed to access it unless the developer either stopped
> doing business, stopped supporting the software, or failed to meet stated
> obligations (e.g. failed to fix a major bug in some reasonable time).  I
> have negotiated several of these agreements and not once have I had to
> exercise the escrow agreement and gain access to the software; however,
> the existance of such an agreement gave my company peace of mind.
> Larry

I'd just like to pipe up that should AutoCAD or Solidworks go belly up
and stop supporting the software, my own problems regarding the
software will be trivial compared to the industry upheaval.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il