Re: Lenovo Thinkpad, HP, or Vostro/Latitude? was Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 21:19 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 08:10:46AM +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:55:52 +1200
> > Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> > Hello Chris,
> >
> > > So it seems like pretty well all the "cheap" stuff is Made in China.
> >
> > Traditionally, it's made in Taiwan.  These days, however, it's not
> > expedient to say so, hence the use of the term People's Republic of
> > China, or just PRC.  Politics.....
>
> It was explicitly stated "Made in China". I have seem "Made in Taiwan",
> never "Main in PRC" or "Made in People's Republic of China".
>
> Caveat: My statement above doesn't necessarily imply that the products
> made in China are of lower quality than of products made anywhere else.

Oh, I agree.  It is just that (in my mind) there is a difference between
made in China (often a Taiwan company leased a factory in China) and PRC
owned.  I also know it is very hard to find anything NOT made in China
(whether it is Taiwan or PRC).  I just don't see any reason to support
the (Communism? debatable) absolute dictatorship that is China.  I also
know it may even be silly.  It is just where I draw my personal line.
Yours may vary.  I may not be able to find a pair of pants not made in
China, but I can find a laptop  at least made by a company NOT owned by
the PRC, even  if it is "made in China".  Again, just a personal
preference, like vanilla ice cream or chocolate.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com