Re: Lenovo Thinkpad, HP, or Vostro/Latitude? was Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 03:26:26PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> IMHO, thinkpads have a long history of supporting linux (or rather that
> linux works on them) and many really like it.  OTOH, the Vostro is also
> a box fully supported (watch what wireless you get) and the Latitude is
> of similar build, but beefer.  I do not think any of these three are bad
> choices. I have never owned a thinkpad and would not due to the owners
> of the company.  This is a personal choice and you are free to disagree
> with that stance, but it does support the use of linux.

By owners of the company, do you mean Lenovo or their predecessor IBM?
I haven't seen a Lenovo Thinkpad.  I do have an IBM Thinkpad; the screen
died when the tent in which I was sitting was hit by lightening (at
least I had metal poles) but at least I was able to retreive the data
off the hard drive.

Doug.