Re: Lenovo Thinkpad, HP, or Vostro/Latitude? was Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 11:24 -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> We are in the same position, and need a quick solution.  I'm looking at
> Newegg's Lenovo Thinkpads (R61i and T61) at <$1K and the Dell
> Vostro/Latitude D630 choices at the $600/850 levels.
>
> Costco has some HP's as well, roughly the same level.
>
> The $$ is fine across the board--I wanted quick feelings about the
> models... are thinkpads simply superior build-wise and so are the best
> choice, or...?
>
> I recognize that this could start a flameware--it's not the intent,
> though.  Honest thoughts are welcome.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Kenward
> --
IMHO, thinkpads have a long history of supporting linux (or rather that
linux works on them) and many really like it.  OTOH, the Vostro is also
a box fully supported (watch what wireless you get) and the Latitude is
of similar build, but beefer.  I do not think any of these three are bad
choices. I have never owned a thinkpad and would not due to the owners
of the company.  This is a personal choice and you are free to disagree
with that stance, but it does support the use of linux.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com