Re: Blocking Gmail ads

"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <jordigh@gmail.com> writes:
> Also, the GPL exception in CUPS for Apple only, of which I have
> recently also complained. :-)

This is what I was talking about with the 'gpl enables new business
models'  -  apple let the main cups developers 'cash out' (thus encouraging
other people to write cool and useful open-source software, or even perhaps
encouraging businesses to pay people to write cool and useful open-source
software in the hopes of cashing out later.) while still giving us
(open-source users)  access to the fruits of later improvements to those
labors.  Apple is using the GPL as a tool to open-source code without letting
competitors use that code without reciprocation.

Personally, I think it's a good thing, because we, the open source
community, get Apple to pay people to write code for us.  We even get the
same license terms.   We lose nothing, and we gain another path to getting
paid lots of money to write open-source software.    Think of how much
great software we'd get paid to write if VC started funding startups
that wrote and sold dual-licensed GPL software on the "It's free if you
like the GPL, but if you want another license that costs money" model?