Blocking Gmail ads

I'm getting a little tired of Gmail serving me Matlab ads whenever I'm
browsing the Octave mailing lists. That's quite obnoxious. It looks
like it's tricky to block Google ads, since it looks like Google can
detect when you're using Adblock and serves you ads in <tables>
instead, making them harder to block.

Can anyone suggest a fix? I only use Gmail for mailing lists nowadays,
and have moved my personal email to a server in an undisclosed
location in a remote island... ;-)

I'd be happy with a solution that either blocks all Gmail ads or a
better method to browse the 14 mailing lists I'm currently subscribed
to, many of them high-volume. I'm beginning to miss Usenet.

- Jordi G. H.