Re: Blocking Gmail ads

On 15 May 2008 20:29:29 -0400, Luke S Crawford <lsc@prgmr.com> wrote:
> "Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <jordigh@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Also, the GPL exception in CUPS for Apple only, of which I have
>  > recently also complained. :-)
[snip]
> while still giving us
>  (open-source users)  access to the fruits of later improvements to those
>  labors.  Apple is using the GPL as a tool to open-source code without letting
>  competitors use that code without reciprocation.

Are they really giving us access? I've seen screenshots of the printer
setup utility in Mac OS X, and although it looks vaguely like
Foomatic, I'm quite sure there's stuff in there that's not being
shared back thanks to the GPL exception.

There's also the danger of Apple forking off CUPs into a proprietary
program, along with its lead developer. Experience with seemingly
benevolent companies should have taught us that scruples aren't
profitable, and hence we cannot rely on companies to have any. They're
playing nice today, and even Microsoft was once widely thought to be
playing nice too, but there's no reason why they should keep doing so.

- Jordi G. H.