Re: Blocking Gmail ads

On 15/05/2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 05/15/08 17:01, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
>  > On 15/05/2008, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>  >
>  >> How can the software be conveyed to me if I'm pushing buttons on a
>  >>  seat-back screen that's connected to a server in the stewardesses'
>  >>  area.  *Especially* since I don't own the seat!!!!
>  >
>  > Depends on what "convey" means, doesn't it? I think YOU (and I, for
>  > that matter) need to read GPLv3 more closely.
>

>   Convey \Con*vey"\ (k[o^]n*v[=a]"), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
>      {Conveyed} (k[o^]n*v[=a]d"); p. pr. & vb. n. {Conveying}.]
>      [OF. conveir, convoier, to escort, convoy, F. convoyer, LL.
>      conviare, fr. L. con- + via way. See {Viaduct}, {Voyage}, and
>      cf. {Convoy}.]
>      1. To carry from one place to another; to bear or transport.
>         [1913 Webster]

No, the legal meaning. The GPLv3 actually defines the term "convey" in
its preamble.

     To "convey" a work means any kind of propagation that enables other
     parties to make or receive copies. Mere interaction with a user
     through a computer network, with no transfer of a copy, is not
     conveying.

So it looks like you were right. Airbus is not conveying Linux, not
even as the GPLv3 defines it.

>  >> Don't know, don't care.
>  >
>  > This looks like a good summary of your position.
>

> Yup.  The GPL3 was designed by revolutionary purists who don't like
>  the fact that, since the revolution is almost won, they're about to
>  be brought behind the barn and shot.

The revolution is almost won? DRMed Bluray? Google kicking AGPLed
projects off its servers? Code moving to the web browser thus
disabling users' ability to peruse the code? Apple taking code without
giving back in a usable way, or not giving back at all? The copyright
hoarders managing to pass more laws in their favour to the detriment
of most citizens?

What revolution are you talking about, because this looks like far
from a victory to me.

By the way, unlike you, I do not advocate murder of anyone.

- Jordi G. H.