Re: most lightweight debian server

There is a lot more than just the I/O scheduler.  It just popped into my
head because I am doing the configuration right now, myself, and because
of the debate/controversy about it.  Also, you will want to build the
device drivers you need as modules, and configure the system to unload
modules when they aren't needed.

Trim everything mercilessly.  Examples:  You don't need battery support
if the computer is not a laptop.  If you don't need anything but basic
cryptographic support, leave it out, and do crypt in user space.  If the
thing only has one NIC, or one type of NIC (i.e., all the same), leave
out support for all the others.  (In general, if you don't have the
hardware, you don't need the code.)  Leave out as much debug code as you
can.

And so on, etc.

The 2.6 kernel is a little bloated IMO.  I don't think that three I/O
schedulers need to be compiled in, but you can do that, and pick which
one to use at boot time. (For example.)  (There's a config file.)

I would suggest going to the 2.4 kernel, but too much hardware and
software depends on 2.6 now to revert.

--
Mark Allums

i will love to find out all the option available. I just one to ask one more thing. i hope it
is not too much. Isn't the kernel have modular support. able to load and unload the
needed and unneeded modules on the fly?
How much is the improvement compare to the strip down version of kernel compared
to the modular version in term of performance? (i know disk space is out of question,
strip down produce small kernel size)