Re: most lightweight debian server

BSD 7.0 is alleged to be better than Linux 2.6.xx, but that is disputed.
 You might want to use a different scheduler and I/O scheduler than the
default if you use a 2.6.24 kernel.  As the man said, compile your own.

I can't answer as well about the userlands.  That depends on what
environment you are running in.  You probably need a GUI in order to run
a web browser, but you might want to shy away from Gnome or KDE, they
are neither very lightweight.  Pick and choose your demons and servers
carefully, e.g. do you need DNS?  If not, don't install it.  Someone
mentioned Apache, set up a minimal Apache, jettison unneeded modules,
(make sure everything is configured properly, so that modules are loaded
only if they are actually being used, etc.)

Add RAM if at all possible.

well, add RAM is out of question, because it is a limited to 64MB RAM resource with
no intention to run GUI. no need for for DNS server. it only rum mysql5 and apache2.
and might be posfix server.

but mysql5 and apach2 alone already consume 170MB of memory. more than twice
the memory allocated for my use.

can you point me to a documentation about default I/O scheduler alternative to
2.6.24 kernel. i  love to see any option available. thank you