Re: [OT] Goodbye Debian

Dotan Cohen wrote:
On 26/02/2008, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
 > Additionally, they can see that running these programs are important
 > to the user. Remember, IT is there to HELP the user do what he needs,
 > not prevent him from doing what he needs.

In a perfect world, perhaps.  In real life, not so much.

 > If IT wants to support
 > software XX and not YY that's fine, but unless YY is known dangerous
 > (Kazaa, for instance) then IT should not have veto power in it's use,
 > especially if using the program requires no registry changes such as
 > an installed (not portable) app would do. If using a portable app
 > makes no permanent changes to the machine, why should it not be
 > allowed?

Sigh.  I don't mean to be unkind, but have you actually worked in the
 corporate world of IT or been subject to its whims?  Have you ever read
 the Dilbert comic strip?  Nothing in the Dilbert strip is a stretch of
 the truth, in fact reality is often more bizarre.

 Coporate IT is driven by sweetheart deals from suppliers to IT
 management.  It is full of fiefdoms and "not invented here" syndromes.
 It is a meca to the power hungry and the control freaks.  It has little
 to do with helping the workers use the best tool for the job.  If that
 happens, it's often the result of an accident or an oversight and will
 soon be corrected.

 I apologize for being so kind toward corporate IT.

Of course I read Dilbert. And I am full aware of the corporate IT
environment. But I'm still 30-young and think that I can change the
world by trying. I'm so naive that I encourage others to do the same.
I know that I'm doomed to the same fate as Winston Smith.

My attitude has gotten my university and my local green club to send
documents in PDF instead of Word, and I write to sites that do not
display properly in Firefox. I write to software houses (Adobe)
requesting they port to Linux, and I write to hardware vendors (ATI)
demanding Linux support. Every week. Am I making a difference? Maybe.
If one out of one hundred OOo || Firefox || Linux users would stand up
and let themselves be known, we'd be in a much better position. I'm
setting an example.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

You can try Open Solaris as well. Sun ships DVD for free now.
But if you will find that Open Solaris is too slow or something else - comeback to Linux. Ideal OS does not exist.

Andrius