Re: [OT] Goodbye Debian

* Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> [2008 Feb 26 06:59 -0600]:
> On 26/02/2008, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> >  > Actually, if he's got his own machine, then he can install the
> >  > portableapps applications locally, without a flash drive. It's much
> >  > faster that way, in fact, at the university I copy portable firefox to
> >  > the machine I'm sitting at and then erase it when I leave. I recommend
> >  > portable Open Office and mplayer as well.
> >
> > That's all well and good so long as the company's IT dept hasn't
> >  installed an audit program that routinely reports what software has run
> >  on the machine.  I work in such an environment and found it best to
> >  leave the machine well enough alone even though I'm a part of the IT
> >  dept.
> >
> >  Remember, the machine belongs to the company, not the employee unless
> >  the employee has been granted permission to install software.  OTOH,
> >  it's easier to ask forgiveness than to receive permission.
> >

> Additionally, they can see that running these programs are important
> to the user. Remember, IT is there to HELP the user do what he needs,
> not prevent him from doing what he needs.

In a perfect world, perhaps.  In real life, not so much.

> If IT wants to support
> software XX and not YY that's fine, but unless YY is known dangerous
> (Kazaa, for instance) then IT should not have veto power in it's use,
> especially if using the program requires no registry changes such as
> an installed (not portable) app would do. If using a portable app
> makes no permanent changes to the machine, why should it not be
> allowed?

Sigh.  I don't mean to be unkind, but have you actually worked in the
corporate world of IT or been subject to its whims?  Have you ever read
the Dilbert comic strip?  Nothing in the Dilbert strip is a stretch of
the truth, in fact reality is often more bizarre.

Coporate IT is driven by sweetheart deals from suppliers to IT
management.  It is full of fiefdoms and "not invented here" syndromes.
It is a meca to the power hungry and the control freaks.  It has little
to do with helping the workers use the best tool for the job.  If that
happens, it's often the result of an accident or an oversight and will
soon be corrected.

I apologize for being so kind toward corporate IT.

- Nate >>