Re: [OT] Goodbye Debian

Portable Apps allow running everything off the flash drive and have the
app/user data saved on the flash drive, too. So basically it's what it
says - e. g. Firefox is portable on a flash drive with all the
bookmarks, history and settings. A properly set-up flash drive with all
the portable apps doesn't require one ever touches the regular Windows
nightmare. As a flash drive is usually formatted to FAT, it doesn't
require any permission checks (under Windows, only NTFS supports user
permissions).

Portable Opera can also be set up to run cacheless (caching to RAM
only) or write its cache to the system's temporary directory. That
speeds up flash drive operation somewhat (more of an issue with older,
slower flash drives).

Same about Linux live CDs - both Knoppix and MCN Live could be booted
off a flash drive AND save user's home directory and configuration to
the flash drive (also supported when booting off a live CD - there's a
CD switch for scanning for stored config/homedir).

On 25.02.2008 at 20:31 Dan H. wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 04:18:03PM -0600, Elf & Dmitryi wrote:
>> Here's a couple things...
>>
>> http://mcnlive.org/ - MCN Live, a live CD that can also be installed
on
>> a flash drive. There's Knoppix, too. http://www.knopper.de