Re: New User- Network Problem

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

There are several problems like this which can crop up.  The only way I
know to identify the problem, if it isn't obvious from the boot logs, is
to do as I suggested and run the initscripts one at a time from
init=/bin/sh.

I never really considered a 'manual' boot-up till I read your earlier post. Shall try it next time I have to restart the server, can't say when that will be though, its been running with no downtime since setting it up around four months ago and I always feel jittery about having to reboot something that has been running for several months.

Modules are supposed to get loaded with the module-inittools script well
before the networking scripts.

That was what I thought should happen. I even tried an explicit 'insmod' of the network driver before the networking script, but it did not appear to change anything.

I also wouldn't edit the scripts to, for example, to insert a delay.
Instead, I would write a delay script in /etc/init.d and symlink it in
the right spot in /etc/rcS.d.

Yes, this appears to be the better thing to do. Thank you.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi