Re: New User- Network Problem

On Thu February 14 2008, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> Its also very confusing to someone who has used Linux for years.  What
> the heck is Network tools, Network settings.  Icon?
>
> The network is configured in /etc/network/interfaces.  Plain old text
> file.

I have a similar problem. I am running Debian Etch:
# uname -a
Linux paulandcilla 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 22:11:31 UTC 2008 i686
GNU/Linux

with the latest updates. Now ( as I recently found out) when I reboot after..
kernel update, whatever update/problem, my network doesn't come back up. I
issue the command line ifdown eth0, ifup eth0 and it comes back up. I can't
remember exactly, but ifconfig ( before the network is working) shows either
just lo, or eth0 has the 169 address.
How would I troubleshoot that? If I am not home, and the power goes out, when
the system comes back up, my wife would not be able to get the network
working...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800