Re: New User- Network Problem

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 05:42:24AM +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 09:14:53AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> I have faced the same problem for a cluster running Etch. It had
> something to do with the network driver being loaded when dhclient tries
> to acquire an IP address from (/etc/init.d/networking). The problem is
> dhclient times out and goes to sleep before the network interface
> becomes live. the /etc/init.d/networking script returns and the
> subsequent network related initscripts go crazy, especially the one that
> mounts nfs shares. dhclient succeeds on the subsequent attempt, a couple
> of minutes after getting the login prompt, but it is already too late.
>
> I played around with the options related to timeout and retry delay in
> dhclient.conf but did not have much luck. I worked around this issue by
> inserting a 'sleep 120' at the end of /etc/init.d/networking so that the
> second attempt of dhclient occurs before the networking script returns.
> Not an elegant solution, but it just worked.

There are several problems like this which can crop up.  The only way I
know to identify the problem, if it isn't obvious from the boot logs, is
to do as I suggested and run the initscripts one at a time from
init=/bin/sh.

Modules are supposed to get loaded with the module-inittools script well
before the networking scripts.

I also wouldn't edit the scripts to, for example, to insert a delay.
Instead, I would write a delay script in /etc/init.d and symlink it in
the right spot in /etc/rcS.d.

Doug.