Re: New User- Network Problem

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 09:14:53AM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

OK, initscripts; something to work on step by step.

Here's what I'm hearing.

1. 	Power off
2.	Power on
3.	Boot progresses, init runs
4.	system comes up but network doesn't come up
5.	ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0 brings the network back up

6?	But then all those initscripts that come after netoworking may
	be messed up.

I have faced the same problem for a cluster running Etch. It had something to do with the network driver being loaded when dhclient tries to acquire an IP address from (/etc/init.d/networking). The problem is dhclient times out and goes to sleep before the network interface becomes live. the /etc/init.d/networking script returns and the subsequent network related initscripts go crazy, especially the one that mounts nfs shares. dhclient succeeds on the subsequent attempt, a couple of minutes after getting the login prompt, but it is already too late.

I played around with the options related to timeout and retry delay in dhclient.conf but did not have much luck. I worked around this issue by inserting a 'sleep 120' at the end of /etc/init.d/networking so that the second attempt of dhclient occurs before the networking script returns. Not an elegant solution, but it just worked.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi