Re: New User- Network Problem

On 14 Feb, Mitch Crawford <mitch@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> I'm having problems with a new installation 4.0r2
> I can't get the machine to connect out using the browser.

> I can ping local machines ( i've set up hosts file & use fixed ip nos only
> in the 10.0.0.x 255.255.255.0 range)

> I can ping debian.org ok, it gives 192.25.206.10 as an ip no so the dns
> appears to be working.

> somebody has suggested iptables, but i don't know where to look.

> I have installed a PCI gigabit card & disabled the on board one but the
> results are still the same

> Any help or ideas appreciated.

Just to follow up my own thread, I've tracked it down to a clash between
network settings & network tools devices.

I'm just connecting through eth1 my PCI 1G network card.
In Network tools  device eth0 and eth1 are both disabled !

In Network settings eth0 is not configured and eth1 is active, enabled and
set with the IP data.

If network tools eth1 is configured the network icon at the top of the main
window loses its connection.

Can anybody make any sense of this... very confusing for a newbie to Linux.

--

mitch@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk